There Is Power in Your Tongue
Stop Speaking Defeat—Start Speaking Faith and Gratitude
Our words have power. They can encourage or discourage, heal or wound, strengthen faith or deepen despair. Scripture does not teach that our words magically create wealth, health, or success. It teaches that what we repeatedly say affects our hearts, our thinking, our relationships, and the direction of our lives.
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue.”
—Proverbs 18:21
When we continually say, “I’m tired, I’m broke, I’m depressed, and nothing ever goes right,” we rehearse our troubles until they seem greater than Yahweh. This does not mean we should deny our pain or pretend everything is fine. It means we should not allow hardship to become the only thing we speak about.
1. Our Words Reveal What Is in Our Hearts
“For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”
—Matthew 12:34
Our speech reveals what has taken root within us. If our hearts are filled with fear, anger, bitterness, and hopelessness, those things will eventually come out through our words.
But Yahweh can renew our hearts—and when the heart changes, our speech begins to change.
“Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.”
—Psalm 51:10
We should ask Yahweh not only to change our circumstances, but also to change how we think and speak while we are waiting.
2. Do Not Magnify the Problem
David faced dangers that were real. He did not deny them, but neither did he allow them to become greater in his mind than Yahweh.
“O magnify Yahweh with me, and let us exalt His name together.”
—Psalm 34:3
To magnify something is to make it larger in our sight. We can spend every day magnifying our problems, or we can magnify the faithfulness, mercy, and power of Yahweh.
Instead of continually saying:
- “Nothing ever works out for me,” say, “Yahweh is directing my steps.”
- “I cannot handle this,” say, “Yahweh will give me the strength I need.”
- “I have nothing,” say, “I am grateful for what Yahweh has provided.”
- “There is no hope,” say, “My hope is in Yahweh.”
- “I am completely alone,” say, “Yahweh will never leave or forsake me.”
This is not pretending that problems do not exist. It is choosing to speak about them from the perspective of faith.
3. Speak Gratitude Instead of Constant Complaint
Israel repeatedly complained in the wilderness. They focused on what they lacked and forgot what Yahweh had already done for them.
“Do all things without murmurings and disputings.”
—Philippians 2:14
Complaining keeps our attention fixed on what is wrong. Gratitude reminds us that trouble is not the whole story.
“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
—1 Thessalonians 5:18
This does not say to be thankful for every painful event. It tells us to remain thankful in every circumstance. Even during hardship, we can thank Yahweh for His presence, His promises, His mercy, and the future He is preparing.
“Bless Yahweh, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.”
—Psalm 103:2
Gratitude requires us to remember. When discouragement tells us that Yahweh has done nothing for us, we should deliberately recall His past blessings.
4. Speak What Is True, Honorable, and Hopeful
“Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely…think on these things.”
—Philippians 4:8
Our speech begins with our thoughts. If we constantly feed our minds with fear and negativity, our words will reflect them. We must deliberately turn our attention toward what is true and spiritually strengthening.
Paul was not writing these words from a life of comfort. He experienced imprisonment, rejection, persecution, hunger, and physical exhaustion. Yet he learned that his circumstances did not have to control his inner life.
“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
—Philippians 4:13
This does not mean we can accomplish anything we imagine. It means Yeshua can give us strength to remain faithful and content in whatever circumstances we face.
5. The Tongue Can Heal or Wound
“There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.”
—Proverbs 12:18
Words can remain in a person’s heart for many years. Cruel words can wound deeply, while kind words can give someone courage to continue.
“A wholesome tongue is a tree of life.”
—Proverbs 15:4
Before we speak, we should ask:
- Is it true?
- Is it necessary?
- Is it kind?
- Will it strengthen faith?
- Will it bring peace?
- Would I say it if Yeshua were visibly standing beside me?
“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying.”
—Ephesians 4:29
6. The Tongue Must Be Controlled
James compares the tongue to the small rudder of a great ship. Though it is small, it can influence the direction of an entire life.
“The tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.”
—James 3:5
The same mouth should not be used to praise Yahweh and then curse, insult, or destroy others.
“Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.”
—James 3:10
Controlling the tongue requires more than willpower. We need Yahweh’s Spirit to develop self-control within us.
“Set a watch, O Yahweh, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.”
—Psalm 141:3
7. We May Speak Honestly About Our Pain
Faith does not require us to conceal genuine suffering. David openly told Yahweh when he was afraid, exhausted, lonely, and overwhelmed.
“How long wilt thou forget me, O Yahweh? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?”
—Psalm 13:1
But David did not end his prayer in despair:
“But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.”
—Psalm 13:5
There is an important difference between honestly expressing pain and continually declaring hopelessness. We may say, “I am hurting today,” while also saying, “But I still trust Yahweh to carry me through.”
Depression can also be a serious health condition—not merely negative speech. Asking for help from a trusted person, or a counselor is not a failure of faith.
8. Speak Yahweh’s Promises
When fear speaks, answer it with truth.
When you feel alone:
“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
—Hebrews 13:5
When you feel overwhelmed:
“Cast thy burden upon Yahweh, and He shall sustain thee.”
—Psalm 55:22
When you feel afraid:
“What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.”
—Psalm 56:3
When you are uncertain about the future:
“Trust in Yahweh with all thine heart…And He shall direct thy paths.”
—Proverbs 3:5–6
When you feel weak:
“My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”
—2 Corinthians 12:9
A Daily Declaration of Gratitude and Faith
Today I will not allow my troubles to control my tongue.
I may be tired, but Yahweh renews my strength.
I may have needs, but Yahweh knows what I require.
I may feel sorrow, but I am not without hope.
I may face uncertainty, but Yahweh is already in tomorrow.
I may be weak, but His strength is greater than my weakness.
I am grateful for another day of life.
I am grateful for Yahweh’s mercy.
I am grateful that He hears my prayers.
I am grateful that my present suffering is temporary.
I am grateful for the Kingdom that lies ahead.
My life belongs to Yahweh.
My times are in His hands.
I will speak truth, gratitude, encouragement, and faith.
Conclusion
There is power in your tongue—but not because words are magical. Words have power because they reveal and reinforce what fills the heart. They influence our thoughts, our relationships, and the people around us.
Do not deny your pain, but do not crown it as ruler over your life. Tell Yahweh exactly how you feel, then remind yourself of what He has promised.
“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Yahweh, my strength, and my redeemer.”
—Psalm 19:14
No comments:
Post a Comment