Question:
Why is it when you won't compromise your beliefs and agree that it is ok to break Yahweh's law the default of people is to say, you think you are better than me?
Answer:
Often, people hear a moral judgment as a personal comparison. You may be saying, “I believe this violates Yahweh’s law, and I cannot agree with it,” while they hear, “I am righteous, and you are beneath me.”
Several things can contribute to that reaction:
- Feeling convicted or defensive. Your refusal to approve something may make someone uncomfortable about their own choices.
- Confusing acceptance with agreement. Some people feel that unless you approve their behavior, you are rejecting them personally.
- Past experiences with religious pride. They may have encountered people who used obedience to belittle others.
Responce:
“I don’t think I am better than you. I need Yahweh’s mercy and correction too. But I cannot call something right when I believe His Word says it is wrong. I can care about you and still disagree with your choice.”
*Humility does not require compromising your beliefs. Faithfulness does require examining your own attitude while holding them.
No comments:
Post a Comment