Click Here For The Song
The Philadelphia Church of God (PCG) “Rule of 7”:
When Even Dinner Required Supervision
One thing we enjoyed during my years in the Philadelphia Church of God (PCG) was eating together. Almost every Sabbath, many members of our congregation would meet at a local restaurant after services. It was an opportunity to visit, share a meal, and enjoy one another’s company.
Then something changed.
One Sabbath, someone asked which restaurant we were going to. I told them and went ahead to save some seats. My family of six sat down, expecting others to join us.
No one came.
I thought it was strange, but when the same thing happened the following week, I began asking why nobody was joining us anymore.
That was when I was told the church had implemented what they called “the rule of 7.” As it was explained to me, if more than seven members gathered together at any time, a minister had to be present.
I asked the minister about it, and he confirmed the ruling.
With six people in my family, just two other members joining us would put us over the limit. What had been an ordinary meal among friends now required ministerial supervision.
What troubled me was not simply missing dinner companions. It was realizing that the church’s control extended beyond services and into our personal friendships. Why should members need a minister present just to share a meal?
To me, this was another example of the controlling culture I experienced in the PCG. Even something as simple as eating together became subject to a rule.
The joys of belonging to what I came to regard as a controlling cult church—even fellowship came with a head count.
No comments:
Post a Comment